Wednesday, September 23, 2009

It's Autumn!

Just yesterday was Autumn Equinox, when the day and night are of equal measure. It's a time of harvest and preparation for winter. We have had much needed rain and unlike the northeast where they have true seasons, Texas looks very very green now! As the cool weather sets in slowly, I look forward to the change and the breathing inward that the Earth and all of us do.

Our nature table is slowly growing as we have been working on making it festive. We participated in the Seasons Round exchange and mailed off our package to Hannah of Home Baked Education in the UK. We hope that she and her son liked it.
Here's some materials used in the process and what we made.

Wool sweaters for felting


I made this Harvest Gnome with cordoroy pants and a felted orange sweater. He is fully poseable due to a wire frame, has warmth from wool, and a hemp belt for holding tools. He has found the cutest pumpkin with curly tendrils.


Gingko Leaves from our tree inside a little coconut top. The scene is set with a little mat I knit with 3 strands of yarn and then felted.

When our package arrives from over the Atlantic, I'll post more pics. I really enjoyed this exchange and hope I can participate in the upcoming Light one.

To keep some of the brightness of summer, I learned a great tip from Tipnut.com and made both orange and lemon vinegar for cleaning. I saved the peels from organic oranges and lemons, put them in glass jars and covered them with plain white vinegar. In about 1 more week, I should be able to strain the peels and have a safer and more natural way to clean.


Here's a happy little plant I found, bursting with berries, and the last of our summer tomatoes.


Warm Wishes,
Cristina

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for our exchange gifts Cristina - we love them! The gorgeous pumpkin is getting a lot of hits and some lovely comments on the flickr group too.
    Sorry we spoilt the surprise by posting pics before you received our package - I had assumed it'd have reached you by now. Hopefully it will be with you soon :o)

    ReplyDelete